Summary of Assembly Business:
- Meeting virtually in assembly on June 5, 2021, from Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Naperville, Illinois, the morning began with a litany and song, followed by a framing of the assembly by Bishop Yehiel Curry, who described the “good stew” that results when each, from their own context and community, brings their best gifts forward for the good of all. This reflection introduced the full bishop’s address later in the morning. This framing was augmented by video highlights of new missions and mission stories throughout the virtual assembly. The bishop also announced the release of new funds for a new Congregational Recovery Grant and Ministry from the Margin funds, as well as the opportunity for participation in various working groups in the synod.
- Mr. Terry Henderson and Pr. Erin Clausen were re-elected on the first ballots as Vice President and Secretary of the Synod Council, respectively, each committing to another term.
- Ms. Mary Richardson was presented with the Sunergos Award by Vice President Terry Henderson.
- A proposed budget and amendments to the MCS constitution were passed, as recommended by the 2019 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
- Elections to synod council, the committees on discipline and consultation, and for voting members to the Churchwide Assembly, were conducted using e-ballot software. In the election results below, PC/L indicates People of Color or People Whose Language Is Other Than English. The conference of each nominee is indicated in parentheses.
- Elected as lay MCS voting members to Churchwide Assembly were: Selene Partida (Near West); Ariolye Frost (Northeast) PC/L; Sherri D’Agostino (West); Ismael Calderon (North) PC/L; John Nicholas (Northwest); Zachary Howell (Southwest); Elisabeth Trost (Northeast); and Frank Imhoff (Northwest); Yvette Newberry White (South) PC/L; and Kayshawn Colbert Jones (Near West) PC/L (Youth Delegate).
- Elected as rostered voting members to Churchwide Assembly were: the Rev. Erin Clausen (Near West); the Rev. Alison Bengfort (Northeast); the Rev. Jason Glombicki (Central); the Rev. Nathan Klein (Southwest); and the Rev. Lester White (South) PC/L.
- Elected a lay members of synod council were: Kristina Adamczeski (Near West); Nancy Arnesen (West); Ivan Perez (Central) PC/L; and Robert Langlois (Northwest).
- Elected as rostered members to synod council were: the Rev. Maria Rojas-Banda (Near West) PC/L; the Rev. Joel Lohafer (Northwest); and the Rev. Lester White (South) PC/L.
- Elected to the Committee on Consultation were: Barbara Hiller (Northeast) and Thomas Weglarz (North).
- Elected to the Committee on Discipline were: Wayne Giampietro (North); Angela Bell (Southwest); the Rev. Melody Eastman (West); the Rev. Carla Powell (Central); and the Rev. Josh Evans (Northeast).
- The Assembly concluded with a brief litany, prayer, and song.